17th December 2010, Volume 123 Number 1327
Paul Gee, Suzanne Jackson, Josie Easton
"Party pills" continue to be legally sold though the main ingredient is no longer 1-benzylpiperazine. Dimethylamylamine (DMAA) is a synthetic stimulant and is one of the main ingredients of new "BZP-free party pills". Though patented in the 1950s as a nasal decongestant, little is known of its pharmacology via the ingested route. This case report describes a 21-year-old male who suffered a cerebral haemorrhage shortly after ingesting two capsules of DMAA.
- Gee P; Richardson S; Woltersdorf W; Moore G. Toxic effects of BZP-based herbal party pills in humans: a prospective study N Z Med J2005 Dec 16;118(1227). http://www.nzma.org.nz/journal/118-1227/1784/content.pdf
- D. Wood, P. Dargan, J. Button, D. Holt, H. Ovaska, J. Ramsey, A. Jones Collapse, reported seizure—and an unexpected pill The Lancet, 2007;369(9571):1490-1490
- Gee P, Gilbert M, Richardson R, et al. Toxicity from therecreational use of 1-benzylpiperazine Clin Tox 2008;46(9):802-807 (doi: 10.1080/15563650802307602).
- Alansari M, Hamilton D Nephrotoxicity of BZP-based herbal party pills: a New Zealand case report N Z Med J 2006 May 5;119(1233). http://www.nzma.org.nz/journal/119-1233/1959/content.pdf
- Council on Pharmacy and Chemistry Methylhexamine Forthane (Lilly). JAMA. 1950;143:1155-1157.
- Ellis S The effect of amines on the blood sugar of the rat. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1951;101:92-100.
- Miya TS, Edwards I. A pharmacological study of certain alkoxyalkylamines J Pharm Sci. 1953;42(2):107-10.
- Olsen ER. Intracranial hemorrhage and amphetamine usage. Review of the effects of amphetamines on the central nervous system. Angiology. 1977;28(7):464-71.
- Buxton N, McConachie NS. Amphetamine abuse and intracranial haemorrhage. J R Soc Med. 2000 Sep;93(9):472-7.
- McEvoy AW, Kitchen ND, Thomas DGT Intracerebral haemorrhage in young adults: the emerging importance of drug misuse BMJ 2000;320(7245):1322 (doi:10.1136/bmj.320.7245.1322).
- van Asch, CJ, Luitse, MJ, Rinkel, GJ, et al. Incidence, case fatality, and functional outcome of intracerebral haemorrhage over time, according to age, sex, and ethnic origin: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Neurol 2010;9:167.
- Chalmers A. Officials seek limit on toxic pill ingredient. The Dominion Post, 12 January 2009 edition.http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/archive/national-news/791103
- World Anti Doping Agency. The World Anti-Doping Code. The 2010 Prohibited List. International standard.http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/World_Anti-Doping_Program/WADP-Prohibited-list/WADA_Prohibited_List_2010_EN.pdf
- Press Release: New Zealand Government. Saturday 7 November 2009.http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA0911/S00093/restrictions-on-new-party-pills-forthcoming.htm