Benefits of being an NZMA member
As an NZMA member, you will be actively supporting our important advocacy and leadership activities on behalf of the medical profession. At this time of great change in the health sector, it is more important than ever for the medical profession to be represented with a strong voice. To ensure our effectiveness, we need the support of as many doctors as possible. Unity within the medical profession gives us strength.
By becoming a member of the NZMA, you will be helping the profession retain a strong national voice. Your financial contribution will also benefit you and your practice as you take advantage of our extensive member services and benefits.
More details are available about our advisory service and financial benefits. A membership leaflet is also available, outlining the member benefits: Representing you today and throughout your medical career [pdf].
A list of current membership rates is available: Current membership rates 2018-19 [pdf]. Rates are pro-rated based on our subscription year, which runs from 1 October to 30 September.
A special, discounted group membership rate is also available to groups of doctors who become NZMA members.
The discount applies to full membership subscription, or low income rate (if applicable), and payment is made via the group rather than by individuals. At least 75% of doctors in the group must become members to be eligible for the discount. Further information is available by contacting Robyn Fell.
To join the NMZA, just go to our Join now page.
NZMA members have access to:
Member advisory service
This service includes advice on the interpretation and practical application of legislation of key importance to doctors, such as the Privacy Act, the Employment Relations Act, the Health and Disability Consumers' Rights Code, and much more.
It provides advice about managing staff, employee and employer rights and obligations, entering into individual employment agreements, hiring locums, structuring a practice, retention of medical records, plus much more.
Access to the members-only section of the NZMA website.
New Zealand Medical Journal
The New Zealand medical profession's leading scientific journal is available to all members on-line at www.nzma.org.nz/journal.
NZMJDigest is a digital magazine featuring news and views from the NZMA, the NZMA Chair's Editorial, other health sector news, and highlighting material from the NZMJ. The Digest is published 10 times a year, with members and subscribers receiving email notifications.
This weekly email bulletin provides news and information about NZMA activities and medical issues, and the opportunity for member feedback.
Membership financial benefits:
- Air NZ Koru Club: NZMA member are entitles to Air NZ Koru Club corporate rates for individual membership.
- Receive corporate rates on car rental and points towards your choice of rewards programmes with Avis Rent a Car.
- Receive 12.5 -17.5% off premium tyre brands at Beaurepaires including Michelin, BFGoodrich, Goodyear and Dunlop*. PLUS, you can get great deals on Exide batteries and Shell Lubricants in-store! Airpoints™ now available.
- Join Cherrytree—The Club for Smart Shoppers, and receive a $200 gift voucher to be used on purchases from the club, as well as reduced annual renewal fees.
- Book Emirates and receive 5% off flights to over 150 destinations worldwide.
- Become a Health Informatics NZ (HiNZ) member and receive a discounted annual member rate, and a discount on HiNZ Conference registration.
- Sign up to Jetts Everyday Active membership today for $0 + receive your first 4 weeks FREE!
- NZMA discounts with KeepItSafe – secure online backup for medical practices.
- Medicus Indemnity New Zealand Inc: Receive 10% discount on annual premium charges for medical indemnity insurance.
- Your specialist financial advisers at MFAS will provide an investment and insurance advice package to NZMA members at no cost to you (valued at $1500) with the first month’s premium free for all personal risk policies issued.
- Discounts, easy online ordering and FREE DELIVERY on stationery, office supplies and consumables with New Zealand Office Supplies.
- Pay only core cost + 12% on most products in Noel Leeming stores.
- NZMA GPCME Conference: Members receive $150 discount on full registration.
- OFX - Global money transfers: Recieve $0 OFX* fees on international money transfers.
- Petals online flower ordering and delivery: 10% discount on flower and gift orders.
- Discounts up to 8% on selected models from our exclusive vehicle partner Volvo.
- Westpac's long partnership with the NZMA to support the financial wellbeing of New Zealands medical professionals provides our members with a range of benefits, aimed at giving you more value across your business, merchant and personal banking needs.
Products and services are continually being sought and developed. Members are welcome to put forward suggestions for consideration.