Benefits of being an NZMA member
As an NZMA member, you will be actively supporting our important advocacy and leadership activities on behalf of the medical profession. At this time of great change in the health sector, it is more important than ever for the medical profession to be represented with a strong voice. To ensure our effectiveness, we need the support of as many doctors as possible. Unity within the medical profession gives us strength.
By becoming a member of the NZMA, you will be helping the profession retain a strong national voice. Your financial contribution will also benefit you and your practice as you take advantage of our extensive member services and benefits.
If you are already an NZMA member, more details about benefits and services are available on the advocacy service and financial benefits pages on the right-hand menu - visible once you have logged in to the site on the homepage. A membership leaflet is also available, outlining the member benefits: Representing you today and throughout your medical career [pdf].
A list of current membership rates is available: Current membership rates 2013-14 [pdf]. Rates are prorated based on our subscription year, which runs from 1 October to 30 September.
A special, discounted group membership rate is also available to groups of doctors who become NZMA members.
The discount applies to full membership subscription, or low income rate (if applicable), and payment is made via the group rather than by individuals. At least 75% of doctors in the group must become members to be eligible for the discount. Further information is available in this flyer [pdf], or by contacting Anna Phipps.
To join the NMZA, just go to our Join now page.
NZMA members have access to:
Member advisory service:
This service includes advice on the interpretation and practical application of legislation of key importance to doctors, such as the Privacy Act, the Employment Relations Act, the Health and Safety in Employment Act, the Health and Disability Consumers' Rights Code, and much more.
It provides advice about managing staff, employee and employer rights and obligations, entering into individual employment agreements, hiring locums, structuring a practice, retention of medical records, plus much more.
Access to the members-only section of the NZMA website.
New Zealand Medical Journal:
The New Zealand medical profession's leading scientific journal is available to all members on-line at www.nzma.org.nz/journal.
Six times a year, selected editorials, articles, letters and obituaries from the on-line New Zealand Medical Journal are presented in print form in the NZMJ Digest. This is mailed to members along with the NZMA newsletter, Medspeak.
This weekly email bulletin provides news and information about NZMA activities and medical issues, and the opportunity for member feedback.
The NZMA newsletter, Medspeak, is mailed to members six times a year. It contains the Chairman's Editorial, news and notices from the NZMA, columns from committee chairs, information about services and benefits, obituaries, and other important information.
Membership financial benefits:
- NZMA GPCME Conference: Members receive $150 discount on full registration.
- Special discounted member rates on merchant credit card fees, eftpos terminals and day-to-day banking through Westpac.
- NZ Forex Foreign Exchange: receive or transfer funds internationally online with no transaction fees and at better rates than the banks.
- Air NZ Koru Club: NZMA members are entitled to Air NZ Koru Club corporate rates for individual membership.
- Guaranteed 10% discount from our exclusive vehicle partner Volvo.
Receive corporate rates on car rental and points towards your choice of rewards programmes with Avis Rent a Car.
15% discount on legal expenses insurance premiums with Wilkinson Insurance Brokers (policy underwritten by Lumley's).
- Debt collecting at a competitive low cost package to provide a quick, effective, and easy online access with National Revenue Corporation.
Discounts, easy online ordering and FREE DELIVERY on stationery, office supplies and consumables with New Zealand Office Supplies.
- Pre-employment screening with Morley Security & Investigation Group (MSIG). NZMA has negotiated excellent rates for this service.
- Recieve 10% off all tyres and Batteries at any Beaurepaires, Frank Allen Tyres or Goodyear Auto Service Centre stores.
- Discounts on selected quality New Zealand and imported wines through the NZMA Wine Club.
- Medicus Indemnity New Zealand Inc: Receive 10% discount on annual premium charges for medical indemnity insurance.
- Receive up to 40% discount on full retail subscription fee from ACP magazines.
- Petals online flower ordering and delivery: 10% discount on flower orders, 8% discount on gift orders.
- Exclusive prices on everything in Noel Leeming and Bond+Bond stores.
- Reduced membership fee, reduced annual renewal fee and account credit when joining Cherrytree – The Club for Smart Shoppers.
- HotelClub: NZMA members receive up to 12% further discount than prices listed on HotelClub website.
- NZMA discounts with Keepitsafe – secure online backup for medical practices, ISO 27001:2005 certified.
Products and services are continually being sought and developed. Members are welcome to put forward suggestions for consideration.