15th October 2010, Volume 123 Number 1324
Nora Lynch, Rod Ellis Pegler
Chikungunya, a febrile arthritic illness caused by a mosquito-borne Alpha virus, is endemic in sub-Saharan Africa, South East Asia, and islands of the Indian Ocean. We describe here a New Zealander who developed arthritis lasting many months after CHIK V infection was contracted in Thailand. This is only the second serologically confirmed case of CHIK V notified in New Zealand. Given the prevalence of the infection in popular holiday spots of South East Asia, it is likely further cases will emerge.
- Ross RW. The Newla epidemic iii The virus: isolation, pathogenic properties and relationship to the epidemic. Journal of Hygiene. 1956;54:177–91.
- Paquet C, Quatresous I, Solet JL, et al. Chikungunya outbreak in Reunion: epidemiology and surveillance, 2005 to early January 2006.Euro Surveill. 2006;11:E060202.
- Chhabra M, Mittal V, Bhattacharya D, et al. Chikungunya fever: a re-emerging viral infection. Indian J Med Microbiol. 2008;26:5–12
- Borgherini G,Poupeau P, Jossaume A, et al. Persistent arthralgia associated with Chikungunya virus: a study of 88 adult patients on Reunion Island. Clin Infect Dis. 2008;47:469–75.
- Kennedy AC, Fleming J, Solomon L. Chikungunya viral arthropathy: a clinical description. J Rheumatol.1980;7:231–6.
- Carmona R, Shaikh S, Nader K. Chikungunya viral polyarthritis. J Rheumatol. 2008;35:935–6.
- Simon F, Parola P, Grandadam M, et al. Chikungunya infection: an emerging rheumatism among travellers returned from Indian Ocean islands. Medicine (Baltimore). 2007;86:123–37,
- Panning M, Grywna K, van Esbroeck M, et al. Chikungunya fever in travellers returning to Europe from the Indian Ocean region,2006.Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:416–22.
- De Lamballerie X, Boisson V, Reynier JC, et al. On chikungunya acute infection and chloroquine treatment. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2008;8:837–9.
- Derraik JG, Slaney D, Nye ER, Weinstein P. Vector-borne disease prevention: the need for a joint South Pacific approach. N Z Med J. 2009;122:7–12. http://www.nzma.org.nz/journal/122-1299/3707/content.pdf
- Rezza G, Nicoletti L, Angelini R et al. Infection with Chikungunya virus in Italy: an outbreak in a temperate region. Lancet. 2007;370:1840–6.